Robotics Engineer, Perception
Develop and maintain full stack code on commercial robots
Burro is a Philadelphia-based startup, backed by top agtech and autonomy investors, including S2G, FFVC, Xplorer, and Radicle. Our mission is to solve the labor shortages facing farmers by making collaborative robots like Wall-E a reality. To do this, we are pioneering vision-based commercial robots into dynamic unstructured outdoor environments and building the foundation for expansive high-value autonomy. Today, demand for our product is accelerating, and we are doubling our team. As a full stack company, sitting at the nexus of hardware/robotics, autonomy, and artificial intelligence, we are launching the first generation of robots into the world’s largest industry – agriculture, and solving the #1 challenge facing our food system – labor scarcity.
You believe in our mission, and are passionate about working on challenging problems at the nexus of autonomy and real-world-use. You are motivated by making a direct impact on the trajectory of the company you work for. You enjoy defeating complex problems, and love to build, tinker and create with a driven team. As an early team member, you will contribute directly to our continued success, and will also hold meaningful equity and grow as we continue to accelerate.
- Build software architectures, algorithms, and tools that ingest and process real-time sensor data in order to deliver safe and smooth autonomous paths.
- Design and build p[rocesses whereby data from fleets of autonomous robots is injested into a continously improving segmentation and labeled data pipeline, then evaluate your methods in simulation and on real robots, rinse, and repeat
- Examine and improve edge cases encountered by robots around various autonomy modules including obstacle handling, person following, and crop data.
- Develop new perception algorithms or neural network architectures
- Adhere to best practices relating to inter-process communication within a ROS framework
- Develop and implement code in C++ and/or CUDA, and performGPU programming and parallelization
- Optimize existing code to make it leaner and more effective whilst following industry best practices.
- 3+ years of experience writing and deploying production quality code (C++, C)
- MS/PhD degree in a relevant field (computer science, machine learning, robotics, etc)
- Experienced with state-of-the-art collision detection algorithms
- Experienced using deep learning frameworks (Caffe, Tensorflow, Pytorch, etc) and deploying models
- Expert level familiarity with CUDA, OpenCL and other heterogeneous computing languages
- Thorough understanding of hardware compute platforms (ASICs. GPUs, FPGAs, etc.)
- Solid knowledge of sensor fusion, tracking and prediction algorithms
- Depth Camera point cloud processing such as segmentation, classification, and calibration
- Experience working with large databases
- Exposure to robotics and autonomous machine development
- Experience with localization and mapping
- Familiarity with Linux environment
- Experience deploying industry-grade software
- Cloud-based services, AWS, SQL
- Game development or simulation (Unreal, Unity, Gazebo etc)
- Web-based development (React, php etc.)
- Embedded systems
- User interface or app development experience
- Parallel computing (CUDA, OpenCL, OpenMP etc.)
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical / dental / vision)
- Generous early-stage equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Be at ground zero of the robot revolution